It's been a while. Apologies for not updating sooner; I tend to get distracted.

A while ago I voiced some frustration with the OGS  website, much of which involved the behavior of other players. I've been playing more and more there, and I have to say that despite some niggling shortcomings, OGS is awesome.

It is browser based, so there's no separate programs to download or install. It has the best interface I've yet seen for a computerized Go game. It also does have a community that is very open and accepting to newcomers, with high ranking players who are willing to teach.

I've learned not to spend too much time in the general chat room, though; the remarks there tend to be very disparaging at times. Sportsmanship is also a mixed bag, but that could be in part due to differing cultures in many cases.

The handicap system also appears to be a little broken. It's probably not a good idea to use it for tournaments.

All in all, this is a site that I can support. I just wish I'd found it sooner. I'm finally (if slowly) learning how to play the game properly, thanks to some very cool and patient players there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Andrew no Go

OGS and the Mini Tournament of Doom